History of Augsburg
The Village at Augsburg has been caring for seniors for over 100 years. It was first conceived as an orphanage in 1892, when Caroline Lang, a resident of Baltimore, Maryland, learned about two orphaned children with no place to live. She shared her vision of caring for orphans with friends, and together they created an orphanage fund, raising $3 to support their efforts. Today, this initial $3 collection is remembered as the “Augsburg Acorn.”
The ministry quickly expanded its vision to also care for seniors and formed The Ladies Society of Augsburg Home to help raise funds. In 1893, Augsburg purchased its first building at 746 West Lexington Street in downtown Baltimore, and a remarkable heritage began.
By 1921, it became clear that larger quarters were necessary to support the growing community, and the present 52-acre property on Campfield Road was purchased in Baltimore County. A new facility, built to house 35 adults and 60 children, was dedicated on November 17, 1929. Over the next few decades, Augsburg continued to expand with a number of additions, including a nursing care wing and chapel.
A heartfelt commitment to seniors
In 1970, the care for orphans was discontinued and the focus turned completely to serving seniors. Staying in touch with the evolving needs of an aging population, Augsburg introduced independent living to its community in the 1980s by opening the “Village” with 61 private apartment homes. A three-story health center was also opened, offering skilled nursing, expanded dining facilities, a new kitchen, and a large activity room. In the 90s, Augsburg added assisted living to the range of continuing care services.
Over the past couple of decades, Augsburg has continued to expand, update and adapt to the changing lifestyles of generations of seniors. The community now has 135 independent living apartment homes and a broader range of amenities and services. In 2012, Augsburg completed a total renovation of the health center into a progressive household model that includes six neighborhoods equipped with fireplaces, sunrooms, kitchens and hydrotherapy spas.
In 2020, The Village at Augsburg affiliated with National Lutheran Communities & Services (NLCS). This affiliation made Augsburg part of a larger system and has provided access to more services and added additional expertise.
A pioneer in senior living
The Village at Augsburg is a recognized leader in the senior living field. Our invigorating, independent lifestyle, unique culture and state-of-the-art facilities for Medicaid and Medicare residents are models for the industry. Continuing to grow, we recently added a beautiful new worship and community life center.
Throughout all the changes and development, Augsburg has remained committed to serving seniors with quality and value, offering a lifestyle that’s attractive, attentive and attainable.