Every donation makes a difference
The Village at Augsburg was founded on the generosity of others, and today we continue to appreciate the kind hearted, unselfish support of caring individuals, charitable organizations and businesses with philanthropic ideals.
As a non-profit organization, we reinvest all earned and donated income back into our community to better serve those who live here. As a faith-based community, our mission is to care for others as if each were the Lord Himself. Thanks to the goodwill of our donors, we’ve been able to fulfill this mission for many decades.
Charitable contributions help us to maintain quality, affordability and access to continuing care. Through donations we continue to:
- Cover the gap between cost of care and total reimbursements.
- Improve every aspect of living at Augsburg, including spiritual, recreational and health care programs, dining services, and our ability to provide a secure home for residents.
- Purchase medical supplies and personal items that are not covered by Medicaid, such as hearing aids and dentures.
- Protect our financial security well into the future.
Your gift at whatever level you can afford is appreciated. We encourage you to review our range of donor opportunities below to see what works best for you.
To learn more about how your donation can help, please contact the Development Office at 410-486-4573, extension 120.
The CARES Act and Charitable Giving
In March 2020, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act became law. Below are important highlights focused on charitable giving that may be of interest as you consider supporting “Community” for you and your advisors to consider:
- Temporary Universal Charitable Deduction—Taxpayers who do not itemize their deductions can take a one-time deduction of up to $300 for gifts made to charitable organizations. The provision is intended only for the year 2020; however, in the text of the bill, it states taxable years “beginning in 2020 …” and does not include a sunset date, thus it conceivably could extend beyond 2020. The deduction is ONLY for gifts of cash made in calendar year 2020 and does not cover other types of gifts or contributions made to donor-advised funds or private foundations.
- Suspends the 60 percent adjusted gross income limitation for individuals’ charitable contributions for the year 2020. In a typical year, individuals can only take a charitable deduction of up to 60 percent of their adjusted gross income, no matter how much they give. For 2020, there is no limit, making cash contributions fully deductible.
- Waives for 2020 the required minimum distributions from retirement plans, such as pensions and 457 plans. Any minimum distributions from retirements plans that would have been required in 2020 can be delayed until 2021. This change reduces the incentive for donors to make gifts from their individual retirement account (IRA)—the IRA Rollover Provision
- The Medical deduction threshold – has been reduced to 7.5% of adjusted gross income (AGI) from 10%, a direct savings for you.
A variety of ways to donate
There are several ways you can positively impact the lives of Augsburg residents through your donation. To learn more about any of the following opportunities, please contact the Development Office at 410-486-4573, extension 120.
Circle of Love
Gifts to this program improve every aspect of living at Augsburg, including our spiritual recreational and health care programs, our dining services, and our ability to provide a safe secure home for residents.
Continue to Care
This critical program helps cover the gap between cost of care and our total reimbursements. Helping those in need is an integral part of our mission and your generosity helps determine how many individuals will benefit from our assistance. The Continue to Care Program helps Augsburg provide the highest quality care for as many residents as possible.
Resident Care Fund
Gifts to the Resident Care Fund are used to purchase medical supplies and other personal items that are not covered by Medicaid, such as hearing aids and dentures. If you indicate a preference, we can also use these funds to make physical plant improvements that further enhance the quality of life for our residents. When unexpected expenses are incurred, your gift enables us to respond in a timely and efficient manner.
Memorial and Honor Program
A touching way to show your love for family and friends is through Augsburg’s Memorial and Honor Program. Celebrate important events such as birthdays and anniversaries, or commemorate the memory of someone you loved. All gifts and donors are gratefully acknowledged by Augsburg.
Thrivent Choice Dollars
Eligible owners of Thrivent Financial For Lutherans products are awarded additional dollars from Thrivent that can be donated to the qualified charity of their choice. Thrivent Choice Dollars donated to Augsburg are greatly appreciated, and can be allocated on the Thrivent Web site or by calling 1-800-THRIVENT (1-800-847-4836). Ask your Thrivent representative for more details.
Planned giving refers to gifts made at a future time when your estate passes to the next generation. Gift planning takes into account those you love, as well as the organizations that you care about. In some instances, gift planning can actually improve a current financial situation by creating current tax deductions and producing increased yet conservative current income.
Theodore Katenkamp Bequest Society
Named for Augsburg’s long-time superintendent, Theodore Katenkamp, who served from 1925-1963, the Theodore Katenkamp Bequest Society honors those who plan to make future gifts through wills, trusts, beneficiary designations, gift annuities, or other estate strategies. This bequest society is Augsburg’s way to officially thank those who have made their plans known to us. Society members enjoy special recognition for their generosity or can remain anonymous.
An easy, efficient way to help our residents is to designate a gift to Augsburg through United Way by writing our name and address on your pledge card through your United Way workplace campaign. Your gift will be deducted from your salary and sent directly to The Village at Augsburg.
Caroline Lang Endowment Fund
To protect The Village at Augsburg’s future financial security, we wisely invest endowment funds and leverage the interest to strengthen this community for years to come. The Caroline Lang Endowment Fund has been established for this purpose. Gifts to the endowment are not used for general operating purposes, but are invested to meet the long-term needs of residents. You may also designate your gift to our Assisted Living Endowment Fund. Interest from this endowment subsidizes care for our Assisted Living residents.
Please consider supporting our mission by making a donation today. We appreciate your generosity!